Mutt folds subject lines but Outlook doesn't properly unfold

I searched the archives (and Google) and was unable to find an answer.

We were using 1.4.1i, but upgraded to 1.5.17 to take advantage of
wildcard-based file attaching.  As a result of that change we see that
command-line based emails that cron is sending out now are folding the
lines.

For example, what was:
Subject: A DSL modem belonging to username 'username' is constantly
reconnecting (112 times)
in the headers is now:
        reconnecting (112 times)

That wouldn't be so bad because this behavior is compliant with RFC 2822,
but Outlook 2003 and 2007 don't unfold it nicely, only removing the CR/LF
and not the tab. It really looks quite awful in my inbox.

I haven't found a way for Outlook to deal with this correctly, though I'm
open to suggestions.

Failing that, is there a way I can revert mutt's behavior to the earlier
release?  I don't see any command-line option or anything describing how
mutt even decides what length the subject line needs to be before folding.

Regards,

Frank