Re: mailbox close while accessing exchange over imap

Jason Joines wrote:
Brendan Cully wrote:
On Friday, 30 November 2007 at 16:22, Jason Joines wrote:
Subject: mailbox close while accessing exchange over imap
From: Jason Joines <joines@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: mutt-users@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri Nov 30 14:37:52 2007
Any suggestions for other client side tweaks to help with this problem? I don't administer the exchange server and getting those who do to even reveal any settings, much less change them, will be a nightmare.
I did a bit more checking. With the imap_keepalive=600 option, the IMAP TCP connection itself seems to stay open indefinitely via netstat. The client then gets the "mailbox closed" message right at 30 minutes after the last activity.

I think there's an open bug about this (and it does need fixing before
1.6). There are three different settings that can affect how often
mutt sends messages to the IMAP server:

$timeout
$mail_check
$imap_keepalive

The problem is that they are basically independent. imap_keepalive
works when mutt is not in a menu (eg while composing a message or
viewing something in the pager). When you're in the index, it doesn't
do anything. In this case, $timeout causes mutt to poll the current
mailbox for new mail every $timeout seconds (and mail_check controls
how often it interrogates other mailboxes).

There's an entry about this in the FAQ:

http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/RemoteFolder

It may be a firewall issue like the FAQ mentions. Do you know what that bug URL is?

Jason

Another interesting find. Now I'm running the debug version and have timeout, mail_check, and imap_keepalive set to 2. When I'm looking at the inbox index and following the debug log I see NOOP every 2 seconds. When I'm on a message compose screen it only happens every 4 seconds.

Jason