Re: Display problem

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your answer which I read, re-read again and again because
things are not as clear for me as they are for you ;-) (see below).

Le 26-11-2007, à 09:34:45 -0600, Kyle Wheeler (kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) a
écrit :

> Lignes : 44
>
> On Monday, November 26 at 03:10 PM, quoth Steve:
> > When I use TAB to go to the next unread message, sometimes the
> > display starts to move up and the whole message becomes mixed up.
> > After some investigation, all I found to fix this problem is to
> > Ctrl-L which redisplays the screen correctly. But this fix only
> > works for a while and I can be sure that a half a dozen messages
> > later the problem comes up again.
>
> That's a problem with your TERM setting. (Though locales was a good
> guess.) Mutt is pretty fancy with how it draws to the terminal, and so
> it often exposes the inconsistencies if your TERM setting isn't the
> same as the terminal you're using. For example, I bet your TERM is
> probably set to "xterm", even though you're not using xterm at all.

Good bet.

echo $TERM
xterm

> Now, I *think* (and you'd have to dig into the Konsole documentation)
> that the correct TERM setting for it is "xterm-color" (because it's
> emulating an xterm), though there may be a more accurate setting
> (check the Konsole docs).

I tried to

export TERM=xterm-color

but the problem arised again.

> The correct setting for when you're using
> putty depends on what putty is emulating; check into putty's
> configuration, and set it to something useful. It's probably emulating
> a VT100 terminal, and you want it to emulate something a little more
> capable, like an xterm.

In putty, Connection -> Data is currently set to xterm. I tried several
different values found in the litterature (uxterm, putty, linuxi ..) and
still the same problem..

> Setting your TERM variable depends on what shell you're using, but to
> test the setting regardless of shell, use this:
>
>      env TERM=xterm mutt

Also tried this and .. shoul I precise?

> Hope that helps,

Well no, still totally stuck. Any other suggestions ?

Thanks a lot,
Steve