Re: Can't delete messages marked to delete in Maildir

* Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wednesday, November 28 at 10:09 AM, quoth Patrick Ben Koetter:
> >I have the following configuration:
> >
> >set delete = yes
> >set folder = "~/.Maildir"
> >set maildir_trash = yes
> >set mbox = "~/.Maildir"
> >set mbox_type = "Maildir"
> >set spoolfile = "~/.Maildir"
> >
> >When I mark a message to be deleted in my Maildir mailbox it won't be
> >deleted.
>
> What does it do instead of being deleted? Does it mark the messages in
> any way? When are you expecting the message to actually be deleted?

Yes, it marks the message with a capital "D".

> Immediately upon being marked or only when you synchronize your folder
> (or mutt exits)?

Immediately upon being marked.

> You need to provide more information. A good formula is:
>
>      1. What did you do?

I sent a message to my Maildir style mailbox in my homedirectory.
I read it using mutt with the above given config.
After reading the message the maildir is like this:

/home/nutzer23/.Maildir/
|-- cur
|   `-- 1196182469.V805I649f9M72775.notebook23:2,ST
|-- new
`-- tmp

>      2. What did you expect the computer to do?

I expected mutt to delete the message upon exit or after I had sent CTRL-$.

>      3. What did the computer do instead?

see previous mail.

>      4. What have you tried to solve the problem yourself?
>
> On the surface of it, your email is open to a sarcastic answer along
> the lines of "that would be the difference between *marking* a message
> for deletion and actually deleting it. Just marking a message for
> deletion does not immediately delete it. That's the expected
> behavior."

Kyle, please. I am in the middle to some Postfix training and we have this
problem here with mutt. I do answer many calls on the Postfix mailing list and
I know about the importance of giving valuable hints. I hope I did this time.

p@rick

--
Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung
<http://www.postfix-buch.com>