Re: Display problem

Le 28-11-2007, à 03:52:43 -0600, Kyle Wheeler (kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) a
écrit :

> Lignes : 105
>
> Well, the thing we're aiming for is to find a way to get all of your
> various software pieces to agree on a configuration that works. This
> is made more difficult by several things. It probably helps if you
> think of the layers that you're working with here.

ok I'll try to put my mind in this logiq.

> When mutt wishes to display something, it uses ncurses (or slang,
> depending on how you've compiled mutt).

I haven't compiled mutt, but

aptitude install mutt

Here is the output of mutt -v :

System: Linux 2.6.18-5-amd64 (x86_64) [using ncurses 5.5] [using libidn
0.6.5 (compiled with 0.6.5)]
Options de compilation :
-DOMAIN
+DEBUG
-HOMESPOOL  +USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +DL_STANDALONE
+USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK   +USE_INODESORT
+USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  -USE_SSL_OPENSSL  +USE_SSL_GNUTLS
+USE_SASL  +HAVE_GETADDRINFO
+HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME
-CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME
-BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +COMPRESSED  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS
+HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET  +HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  +HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID  +USE_HCACHE
-ISPELL
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
PKGDATADIR="/usr/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/etc"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
MIXMASTER="mixmaster"
Pour contacter les développeurs, veuillez écrire à <mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx>.
Pour signaler un bug, veuillez aller sur http://bugs.mutt.org/.

patch-1.5.11.rr.compressed.1
patch-1.5.4.vk.pgp_verbose_mime
patch-1.5.5.1.nt.xtitles.3.ab.1
patch-1.5.6.dw.maildir-mtime.1
patch-1.5.6.tt.assumed_charset.1

So it's using ncurses.

> Ncurses must then send the
> sequence of bytes necessary to display what mutt wants to the
> terminal. Since there is no terminal, ssh intercepts this output, and
> forwards it to your remote application.

Which is either konsole or puTTy ?

> Each terminal (application) has different capabilities (such as being
> able to draw lines or being able to draw colors or scroll portions of
> the terminal or what have you), and different byte sequences for
> telling it to do these things. This is why we have ncurses (and
> slang): so that mutt doesn't need to know about every dang terminal in
> existence.

Ok.

> Unfortunately, that means that ncurses must know about
> every dang terminal in existence, or at least, it must know about the
> terminal that *you're* using (and the only way it knows this is from
> the TERM setting).

ok.

> People writing new terminal applications (e.g.
> putty) know this, and while they like adding features, generally they
> want their terminal to work sooner than later, so they tend to emulate
> older terminals (e.g. xterm).

ok but I'm not using any weird terminals, only well known ones.

> Now, throw into this mix possibly buggy
> ncurses terminal definitions (it happens), buggy terminals, buggy
> emulations... Oh, and just for grins, let's also throw in the
> possibility (nay, likelihood) of fonts that don't support all the
> necessary characters, and it can get darn hard to figure out why
> something doesn't display properly! :)

For sure.

> On Wednesday, November 28 at 10:05 AM, quoth Steve:
> >> Now, I *think* (and you'd have to dig into the Konsole
> >> documentation) that the correct TERM setting for it is
> >> "xterm-color" (because it's emulating an xterm), though there may
> >> be a more accurate setting (check the Konsole docs).
> >
> > I tried to
> >
> > export TERM=xterm-color
> >
> > but the problem arised again.
>
> Well, then, chances are xterm-color isn't correct for your version of
> Konsole. Hmm. Try export TERM=kterm, maybe that'll work. Or even
> TERM=konsole. Konsole may have configurable emulation modes... I don't
> use it, so I'll let you investigate.

I'll try this as soon as I get out of mutt. What do you mean with
'configurable emulation modes' ? I think I don't understand very well
what emulation' means ...

> >> The correct setting for when you're using putty depends on what
> >> putty is emulating; check into putty's configuration, and set it to
> >> something useful. It's probably emulating a VT100 terminal, and you
> >> want it to emulate something a little more capable, like an xterm.
> >
> > In putty, Connection -> Data is currently set to xterm. I tried several
> > different values found in the litterature (uxterm, putty, linuxi ..) and
> > still the same problem..
>
> Changing the setting in Connection->Data only changes what PuTTy
> *claims* to be, not what it actually behaves like (don't you love how
> those are separate settings?).

Are you telling me that any settings in puTTy are useless or by any
means for my particular problem ?

> For example, in Window->Translation,
> you can adjust how Putty handles line-drawing characters,

Current setting is 'Use unicode line drawing code points'.

> in
> Window->Colours you get to change whether it supports 256 colors or
> not, and so forth.

Here I have (default values) :

Allow terminal to specify ANSI colours
Allow terminal to use xterm 256-color mode
Bolded text is a different colour

> Whatever you do, you need to alter your TERM
> variable to reflect whatever it is that you've told Putty to behave
> like (e.g. if you've told it to behave just like xterm with 256 color
> support, TERM should be xterm-256color (or a subset of that, such as
> xterm-16color)). TERM doesn't change just because PuTTy changes how it
> operates, it is (unfortunately) manual.

Ok I'll try all those combinations.

> In some cases, depending on your version of ncurses, I've heard that
> setting TERM to putty-vt100, putty, or putty-256color (in ascending
> order of complexity (i.e. if putty doesn't work, then putty-vt100
> might work, but if 'putty' doesn't work at all, putty-256color is
> unlikely to work)).

idem.

> Unfortunately, because what terminals are supported by ncurses depends
> heavily on your particular version,

apt-cache show ncurses-base
Version: 5.6+20071013-1

> and how a terminal (mis)behaves is
> also dependent on the version of the terminal, I can't give you a 100%
> guaranteed answer. But I say play around with your TERM setting and
> see if you can't get one that behaves itself.

I'll follow your advice.

> >> Setting your TERM variable depends on what shell you're using, but to
> >> test the setting regardless of shell, use this:
> >>
> >>      env TERM=xterm mutt
> >
> > Also tried this and .. shoul I precise?
>
> I don't understand the question.

I was only implying that it didn't work either.

> Hope that helps,
> ~Kyle

Thanks a lot Kyle for your extended explanations. I'll play around with
the TERM variable and see if I have more success. I'll let you know as
I'll let the debian-user-french list know also since a lot of people
there are experiencing the same problem.

> --
> You never truly understand a thing until you can explain it to your
> grandmother.

He's right ;-)

-- Albert Einstein