Re: Can't delete messages marked to delete in Maildir

* Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wednesday, November 28 at 11:26 AM, quoth Patrick Ben Koetter:
> > * Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> On Wednesday, November 28 at 10:09 AM, quoth Patrick Ben Koetter:

> >> What does it do instead of being deleted? Does it mark the messages in
> >> any way? When are you expecting the message to actually be deleted?
> >
> > Yes, it marks the message with a capital "D".
>
> ... okay. Let's be a bit more explicit. Is this (let's say "case A")
> the sequence?:
>
>      1. launch mutt
>      2. mark a message for deletion
>      3. sync the mailbox (e.g. by triggering the <sync> function,
>           commonly bound to the $ key)
>      4. message is still there

Yes, A is my case.

> If the former is the case, then I'd suspect that you may have some
> hooks or something that are altering your $delete setting without you
> realizing it. If the latter is the case, then that's correct mutt
> behavior.
>
> >> Immediately upon being marked or only when you synchronize your
> >> folder (or mutt exits)?
> >
> > Immediately upon being marked.
>
> So... case B. In that case, that's the correct behavior.
>
> > I sent a message to my Maildir style mailbox in my homedirectory.
> > I read it using mutt with the above given config.
> > After reading the message the maildir is like this:
> >
> > /home/nutzer23/.Maildir/
> > |-- cur
> > |   `-- 1196182469.V805I649f9M72775.notebook23:2,ST
> > |-- new
> > `-- tmp
>
> ... looks correct so far...
>
> >>      2. What did you expect the computer to do?
> >
> > I expected mutt to delete the message upon exit or after I had sent CTRL-$.
>
> If you've only done what you described in response to question 1, then
> you're right, mutt doesn't delete messages just for giggles. You have
> to tell mutt to delete the message first (i.e. mark it for deletion).

Agreed.

> Assuming that you actually did more than what you described, and that
> you DID mark the message for deletion, but that the message was not
> deleted when you exited (CTRL-$ doesn't do anything by default, and in

I did mark for deletion, exited _and_ mutt told me it had just deleted 1
message. When I started mutt again, the message was still there, being marked
as to be D(eleted).

And I double checked the CTRL-$ and confirmed it is a character I am allowed
to send. Mutt will tell me it just deleted a message, while the message still
sits there... :/

> most terminals it's an invalid key sequence), assuming you exited
> safely rather than by simply killing mutt (e.g. CTRL-\), then you have
> an interesting issue on your hands. My suspicion would be that
> something (a hook or some other configuration details) is mucking with
> your $delete setting without your knowledge.

Hmmm, how could I tell if there are any hooks I don't want? I don't have any
in my .muttrc. Maybe /etc/Muttrc? I'll take a look.

> >> On the surface of it, your email is open to a sarcastic answer
> >> along the lines of "that would be the difference between *marking*
> >> a message for deletion and actually deleting it. Just marking a
> >> message for deletion does not immediately delete it. That's the
> >> expected behavior."
> >
> > Kyle, please. I am in the middle to some Postfix training and we
> > have this problem here with mutt. I do answer many calls on the
> > Postfix mailing list and I know about the importance of giving
> > valuable hints. I hope I did this time.
>
> I'm not trying to be a jerk, but seriously, "I marked messages for
> deletion, and they're not deleted!" leaves room for a misunderstanding
> about how mutt operates. For example, some folk may expect "marked for
> deletion" messages to vanish from the index immediately when they are
> marked that way.

Yes, right. I should have been more explicit. Sorry for the inprecision.

p@rick

--
Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung
<http://www.postfix-buch.com>